For young men of the ages 18 – 25, it can be challenging to recognize when sexual behavior has started to become problematic. Often, the sexual behavior will escalate without them realizing it has occurred until important parts of their lives are significantly affected. Young adults also have a unique stage of life factors that may make their diagnosis and treatment different from older clients.
Some of these factors might include:
- Difficulties distinguishing between healthy sexual exploration and unhealthy sexual behaviors
- Immersion in technology and easy access to online pornography and “hook-up” apps
- Choosing exclusively online sexual behavior over the challenges of face-to-face courtship
- Tendencies to juggle multiple romantic or sexual relationships at the same time
- Tendencies to experiment with alcohol and stimulants
Engaging in a sexual exploration is an important part of many young men’s transition into fully functioning, independent adults. It helps them to learn about who they are, what they enjoy, and how to be good partners in their intimate relationships. For some, however, normal exploration can spiral into out-of-control and destructive behavior.
At Gentle Path at The Meadows, we specialize in working with our young adult patients to identify which of their behaviors are problematic for them and which are part of normal development. For more information on our premier inpatient treatment for sexual addiction, give us a call today.